Consider the Pros and
Cons Before You Choose Between Granite and Marble Slabs in Toronto
Natural stone, such as granite and marble, are not only
admired for their aesthetic appeal, but also for their durability, longevity
and performance. No other material is quite as impressive or speaks
sophistication and luxury as expressively as granite or marble countertops.
Before you start looking at granite and marble slabs in Toronto for your
countertop, consider some of the pros and cons of granite and marble in order
to help you make the best choice possible for your needs.
Granite is visually impressive and popular for its
understated elegance. Granite is a composite of fused elements, including
quartz, mica and feldspar, all of which affect its colour. It is found deep in
the earth and takes thousands of years of intense pressure to form.
Granite Countertops pros:
- Granite has a one of a kind, natural surface
that has an almost luminous look that will add beauty and a personal touch of
sophistication and will add value to your home
- Granite countertop price is more competitive
than many other natural stone choices
- Granite is sanitary, as bacterial contamination
is not a problem with the product
- Granite is resistant to chipping, cracking or
breaking with everyday use
- Granite is stain resistant and heat resistant
- Granite is easy to clean, as it can be cleaned
using only soap and water
Granite Countertops cons:
- Each granite slab is different, so it may not be
a good choice if you prefer a completely uniform look
- Because it is so heavy, granite often requires
additional structural support
- Granite is very difficult to remove once it has been
glued to the cabinets. Removing the granite can result in damage to the
Marble is a beautiful natural stone that creates an elegant,
high-end look, but it is less common than granite for kitchen countertops.
Marble stone is truly unique. Marble is a metamorphic formation of sedimentary
carbonate rocks, distinguished by veins of various mineral deposits.
Marble Countertops pros:
- If you are looking for a countertop that stands
out as truly unique and luxurious, marble could be the right choice. Marble
countertops offer spectacular beauty
- Like other natural stone, marble is
- Marble is heat resistant in the kitchen. It
stands up well to hot pots and pans
- Properly cared for, marble is highly durable and
will outlast nearly any other type of material
Marble Countertops cons:
- Because marble is so porous, it can be damaged
by acidic foods, such as citrus fruits and vinegar. The surface may become
stained and develop a rough texture.
- Marble may not be sturdy enough for the kitchen
- Sharp knives can scratch the surface of the
- Heavy pots or mugs may chip the marble or even
break off a corner
Visit a stone distributor to choose your granite and marble
slabs in Toronto. It is a good idea to choose your slab in person, since each
slab is different and colour variations can occur in different lighting.